Artificial insemination with chilled semen
Chilled AI should give nearly as good a chance of conceiving as natural service but the conception rate depends on the individual mare and the quality of the semen. A healthy young mare will have a much higher conception rate than an older mare that has had previous infertility or uterine infection. However, mares of any age that repeatedly contract uterine infections after covering may have a better rate of conception with AI.
Chilled semen is best inseminated within 24 hours of collection and 12 hours of ovulation. Ultrasound examination is therefore required daily once the mare is ready to ovulate. Scanning provides a forecast of when the mare is likely to ovulate so that we can contact the stud in good time to ensure timely delivery of the semen. After insemination a further visit is required to ensure that ovulation has occurred and any uterine therapy, to increase the chance of a successful implantation, can be administered. Throughout the time the mare is in season it is important that you are available throughout the day so that we can visit whenever appropriate.
The main advantages of chilled AI are:
- The mare does not have to travel to the stallion.
- Mares that are more susceptible to uterine infections after natural covering have a better chance of conceiving with AI than natural service.
- Increased conception rates over frozen semen.
Chilled AI package
We offer a fixed price package for AI with chilled semen for one reproductive cycle.
Please get in touch if you would like further information.
- Pre-breeding manual examination and ultrasound scan.
- A prostaglandin injection to synchronise the mare if necessary.
- Ultrasound examinations and journeys once the mare is in season.
- An injection of an ovulation inducing agent eg Chorulon where necessary.
- Microscopic analysis of semen quality, motility and proportion live.
- Insemination of semen, usually using deep intrauterine insemination techniques.
- Re-scanning after insemination to check ovulation and formation of corpus luteum.
- All paperwork completed.
- Ultrasound pregnancy diagnosis at an appropriate time.
This does not include:
- The cost of the semen and the cost of shipping the semen.
- Contagious equine metritis (CEM) swab and Equine viral arteritis (EVA) blood test. (Neither usually required for AI)
- Treatment of uterine infection and/or fluid before or after insemination.
- Caslick’s surgery after insemination where necessary.